OrganizationLegal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
The Legal Aid Society (LAS) is the legal advocacy arm of Metropolitan Family Services. Legal issues for Domestic Violence Team Interns include orders of protection, divorces, child support, and custody, as long as they are part of a divorce or parentage case where there is domestic violence. LAS Interns receive a wide range of experience that includes client interviewing, research, drafting legal documents, and in-court representation (if 711 licensed).
- We will accept applications from law students/grads who have funding.
- We will help law students/grads find external funding if needed.
- We will accept applications from work study law students.
- We will accept applications from law students seeking academic credit or participating in an externship through their law school.
- We will accept applications from law students/grads who do not have funding.
About the Organization
The Legal Aid Society represents low-income residents of Cook County who are victims of domestic violence, seniors who are victims of abuse and/or financial exploitation or are raising grandchildren, human trafficking victims, and individuals who need help with housing and/or consumer issues. Social services, financial support and financial literacy classes are also available through seven community centers operated by our parent organization, Metropolitan Family Services.