- Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
We are now hiring for a full-time Attorney I to join our Safer Families Program Team!
The Attorney I will represent complaining witnesses who have children with their abuser on requests for orders of protection in conjunction with criminal cases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Represents complaining witnesses who have children in common with their abuser in seeking orders of protection in conjunction with criminal cases heard at the courthouse located at 555 W. Harrison, Chicago.
- Works with the State’s Attorney’s Office (SAO), the clerk’s office, and the court to ensure efficient litigation and order processing.
- Inputs data and notes regarding work done and outcomes achieved in a timely manner.
- On-call one (1) weekend per month and three (3) holidays per year.
- Participates in public relations and/or community education efforts as needed.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 11 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
- Juris Doctor AND active member of the Illinois Bar OR admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois required. (Recent graduates who are sitting for the July Bar Exam and eligible to practice under Supreme Court Rule 711 will be considered, conditional on bar passage).
- Attorneys who primarily serve victims of domestic violence must, upon hire, enroll for training and receive a 40-Hour Domestic Violence Certification within 12 weeks of employment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to aiding victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and family abuse.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent oral/written communication and research skills, and computer competency required.
- Courtroom, trial advocacy and negotiation skills required.
- Ability to respond to large numbers of clients in a professional and empathetic manner.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities