For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Positions: LAF has received a new grant to substantially increase legal services for victims of domestic and sexual violence, human trafficking, elder abuse, and financial exploitation throughout Chicago and suburban Cook County. The Immigrants and Workers’ Rights Practice Group (“IWR”) at LAF is seeking a highly skilled paralegal to assist in providing direct legal services in immigration related matters under this grant. The expected start date for this position is July 1, 2017.
Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to,
- Assist in providing comprehensive legal services to clients;
- Working on-site at partner agencies where we do outreach and conduct intake;
- Litigation assistance in cases across IWR;
- Assisting clients with applications for benefits;
- Making appropriate referrals to outside agencies;
- Attending trainings and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current legal issues surrounding employment law;
- Assisting with grant reporting requirements;
- Conducting community outreach; and
- Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorney and Director.
: Applicants must be fluent in Spanish; be committed long-term to public interest legal services; have strong oral and writing skills; be highly organized; have a driver’s license and good driving record; and have team-centered work experience.
Salary: Depends on experience. Generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and the names of two professional references to:
Please type “IWR Paralegal” in the email subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY